Oct 9, 2011

New challenge: Mendokoro Hanada Ueno

*External link to the Japanese website
**External link to the website except written in Japanese


I take on new ramen shops which I have never visited when I am alone, as I did so yesterday, because I do not want to take my friends or brothers to bad ramen shops; above all, one of my friends is a gourmet and severe critic (who is he?)
Today's shop I introduce you is one of such shops: Mendokoro Hanada Ueno (麺処 花田 上野店).

About 8 p.m. after the shopping in Akihabara (秋葉原) I hurried to Ueno by walk because Hanada's open hours were 11:30-21:00, according to Tabelog* (食べログ) or Ramen Date Base* (ラーメンデータベース).
I was in a sweat though it was autumn night and not so warm.
By the way, I often walk on the way between Akihabara and Ueno (about 1 km) and I am used to going on this route.

About 8:30 p.m. I got there; I felt cold because of a sweat.
And I was a little surprised when I saw the sigh of Hanada; it read open hours: 11:30-24:00 (Mon-Sat) 11:30-22:00 (Sun- and Holiday)!
Fuckin' damned Tabelog and RDB! I need not have hurried so!
(This wrong information in these websites has not been corrected as of Oct. 11 though right information is given in Hanada's official website*, which I had not read carefully...)

I got a seat without waiting.
I chose large-sized miso ramen (790 + 120 yen.)


Chopsticks holder which reads: more vegetables and minces of garlic added, rice (only lunch time on Mon-Friday) free

The system of this shop is similar to Ramen Jiro's (ラーメン二郎) one; we can ask staffs free to add more vegetables (野菜マシ) and minces of garlic (ニンニクマシ) (see photo above.)


Large-sized miso ramen

Very good ramen!
I felt that this soup tasted faint sweetness of soy beans beyond mild miso saltiness.
Preferred was moderete chewiness of noodles which matched this soup.
And I like slices of long green onion with red chili oil dropped.
(味噌のマイルドなしょっぱさの向こうに大豆のほのかな甘味を感じた。程よい歯応え麺もこのスープによく絡んでよい。そしてわたしは、ラー油で味付けされた長ねぎの辛味は好きだ、と言いたいのヨ)

It was a pity that on its ramen there was a small amount in a bowl, even large-sized, especially for me, and a bowl cost a little expensive; in comparison with Jiro, its normal-sized ramen is about 650 yen or so and reasonable, which is caused with the fact that almost all of Jiro branches are located in the suburb or outskirts of Tokyo.
And generally speaking, miso ramen often costs more than other kinds of ramen mainly because more ingredients and toppings (meat or vegetable, etc.) are needed and cooked.

Thanks to Hanada, I found the new frontier: miso ramen!
I will look for good miso ramen shops. The truth is that I prefer strongly seasoned ramen to weakly seasoned one; for example, I do not like shio (mainly salt-seasoned) ramen (塩ラーメン).
And anyway, I can recommend Hanada to my friends Koba and Rick, who is a gourmet and severe critic.
Hanada has a branch in Ikebukuro (池袋), which I had never visited but just passed when I visited Gold Rush Ikebukuro (ゴールドラッシュ 池袋店), so I will visit it there.

=====

By the way, about 9:40 p.m. on the way to Subway Yushima station (地下鉄湯島駅) from Ueno just by chance I went by the professor (Mr. T. J.) of Waseda University, who had taught me and whom Koba and Rick have known quite well.
But I did not call out to him, and I guess that he must not have noticed, or has forgotten myself totally.
I was very surprised at what I had never expected happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment